The earl ranks higher, but is by no means at the top.
From highest to lowest, the line of peerage runs as follows:
Duke and Duchess
Marquess (or Marquis) and Marchioness Earl and Countess
Viscount and Viscountess
Baron and Baroness
- When was Lee Harvey Oswald shot? At about 11:20 A.M. (CST), on November 24, 1963, the twenty-four-year-old Oswald was shot by Dallas nightclub operator Jack Ruby (formerly Rubenstein). Lee Harvey Oswald was shot while he was being transferred from…
- What was the name of the Russian boxer faced by Rocky Balboa in Rocky IV (1985)? Drago (Dolph Lundgren) was the name of the Russian boxer in Rocky IV.
- What nationality was Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Robert Kennedy? Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Robert Kennedy, was a Jordanian-born American. He shot Kennedy, then a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, on June 5, 1968.
- Who lived in the Castle of Otranto? The Castle of Otranto was inhabited by Manfred, the Prince of Otranto, with his family, in the 1764 Gothic novel The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole.
- When did King Edward VIII abdicate or give up his throne? King Edward VIII of England gave up his throne for the love of Wallis Warfield Simpson on December 10, 1936. His younger brother George VI, who reigned until 1952, took the throne in…
- Who was the first member of British royalty to visit the United States? It took the New York World's Fair and imminent war in Europe to bring British royalty across the Atlantic. On June 7, 1939, King George VI and the future Queen Elizabeth II crossed…