In The Scarlet Letter, the father of Hester Prynne’s child, Pearl is the town’s minister, Arthur Dimmesdale, who is tormented by his illicit act.
- Who was Natty Bumppo’s Indian sidekick? Natty Bumppo's Indian sidekick was Chingachgook. He appears in Cooper's The Deer-slayer (1841), The Last of the Mohicans (1826), The Pathfinder (1840), and The Pioneers (1823).
- Who took the lead parts in The King and I (1956)? Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner had the lead parts in The King and I (1956). Brynner won an Oscar.
- What poem contains the line “Beauty is truth, truth beauty”? John Keats's "Ode on a Grecian Urn" (1819) contains the line "Beauty is truth, truth beauty".
- Who wrote the Pledge of Allegiance? The Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy, editor of the children's magazine The Youth's Companion. It was written for its September 8, 1892, issue, to commemorate Columbus Day. It originally read:…
- How do women’s wages compare to men’s wages in America? According to median income figures for 1990, women with four years of college make 72 percent of what their male counterparts make. Women who are high school graduates make 67 percent of what…
- In The Iliad (9th century B.C.), what goddess is Achilles’ mother? In The Iliad (9th century B.C.), Thetis, a sea nymph is Achilles' mother.