Odysseus descends into the underworld in Book XI of XXIV of Homer’s Odyssey .
- In what book of Homer’s Iliad (ninth century B.C.) does the “Catalogue of Ships” appear? The Greek ships are enumerated in Book II of Homer's Iliad.
- How many novels did Vladimir Nabokov write in Russian before turning to English? Vladimir Nabokov wrote ten novels in Russian before turning to English, including Laughter in the Dark (1938). His first novel written in English was The Real Life of Sebastian Knight (1941). Nabokov (1899-1977)…
- What are the books of the Pentateuch? The books of the Pentateuch are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible or Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Named from Greek penta (five) and teuchos (book), tradition assigned…
- How old is The Epic of Gilgamesh? The Babylonian epic The Epic of Gilgamesh dates back to about 2000 B.c. It concerns the adventures of the hero Gilgamesh and the "wild man" Enkidu, and Gilgamesh's grief over Enkidu's death.
- In The Iliad (9th century B.C.), what goddess is Achilles’ mother? In The Iliad (9th century B.C.), Thetis, a sea nymph is Achilles' mother.
- In The Iliad (ninth century B.C.), what god is Helen’s father? In The Iliad (ninth century B.C.), Zeus is Helen's father?