Dr. Samuel Johnson said it of his dictionary in “Preface to A Dictionary of the English Language” (1747-55).
- Who said, “A little rebellion now and then is a good thing”? Thomas Jefferson said, "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing", writing from Paris on hearing of Shays's Rebellion, an uprising of poor farmers against the Massachusetts state government in 1786.…
- Who said, “What this country needs is a really good five-cent cigar”? "What this country needs is a really good five-cent cigar" was uttered by Thomas R. Marshall, vice-president under Woodrow Wilson (1913-21), in response to a senator's long speech about the country's needs.
- What was the last movie Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin made together? The last movie Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin made together was Hollywood or Bust (1956). It ended a successful string of seventeen releases, beginning in 1949 with My Friend Irma.
- Did Samuel Goldwyn say, “The next time I send a damn fool for something, I go myself”? Director Michael Curtiz said "The next time I send a damn fool for something, I go myself" in disgust at a building prop person.
- How big was the earthquake that hit San Francisco in 1906? The earthquake that hit San Francisco in 1906 is estimated to have measured 8.3 on the Richter scale. Four square miles of downtown San Francisco were destroyed and over 500 people died in…
- Who wrote the screenplay for the original film version of Pygmalion (1938)? The play's author, George Bernard Shaw, who won an Oscar for his adaptation wrote the screenplay for the film Pygmalion.