The word petard refers to a type of bomb or mine once used to break down walls and gates.
To be hoist is to be blown up.
Therefore, to be hoist by one’s own petard is to be, literally or figuratively, blown up by one’s own bomb.
- In Don Marquis’s “archy and mehitabel” stories, which is the cockroach and which the cat? In Don Marquis's "archy and mehitabel" stories, Archy is the cockroach, Mehitabel the cat. Archy was said to have written the stories at night on newspaper columnist Marquis's typewriter. He wrote without capitals…
- When was the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted List started? The FBI's Ten most wanted list was started in 1950. In 1970, the FBI unofficially increased the number to 16.
- What have been the biggest-grossing movies, by decade? The biggest-grossing movies, by decade were: 1910-19 The Birth of a Nation (1915) 1920-29 The Big Parade (1925) 1930-39 Gone With the Wind (1939) 1940-49 Song of the South (1946) 1950-59 The Ten…
- In cable TV language, what is a dedicated channel? In cable TV language, a dedicated channel is a channel that offers only one kind of programming, weather, rock music, home shopping.
- How long are the intestines? The small intestine, which is contained in the central and lower abdominal cavity, is 20 to 23 feet long. The large intestine is 5 feet long.
- What was Hiawatha’s tribe? The hero of Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha (1855) belonged to the Mohawk tribe, one of the Five Nations of the Iroquois.