Dr. Faustus, the scholar who sells his soul to Satan is torn apart by devils at the end of Christopher Marlowe’s Dr. Faustus.
- What was the name of the Faerie Queene in Spenser’s The Faerie Queene (1590-96)? Gloriana was the name of the Faerie Queene in Spenser's The Faerie Queene (1590-96).
- Who goes with Everyman to face Judgment? Only Good Deeds goes with Everyman to face Judgment. In the 1495 morality play, Everyman is deserted by Beauty, Strength, Discretion, and Five Wits.
- Who first played Blanche DuBois in the first production of Tennessee Williams’s A Streetcar Named Desire? Jessica Tandy first played Blanche DuBois in the first production of Tennessee Williams's A Streetcar Named Desire, opposite Marlon Brando as Stanley Kowalski.
- Who was Mother Goose? Mother Goose first appeared in Charles Perrault's Mother Goose Tales (1697), a collection of popular folk stories. She is depicted at the front of the book in an illustration of an old woman…
- What is the apple of one’s eye? The apple of one's eye is the pupil, which was likened to an apple because, in the ninth century, it was believed to be a solid round mass.
- What is the earliest use of flashback in Western literature? The earliest use of flashback in Western literature was in Homer's Odyssey. Most of Odysseus's adventures are recounted in a flashback set within a larger narrative frame. Odysseus tells his story at the…