What used to stand at the site of the Empire State Building?

Until 1929, the Waldorf-Astoria stood at the southwest corner of Thirty-fourth Street and Fifth Avenue in New York.

On October 1 of that year, demolition of the famous hotel began, and on May 1, 1931, the Empire State Building opened on the space.

In the same year, the Waldorf reopened at its current address between Forty-ninth and Fiftieth Streets on Park Avenue.

Leave a Comment