Cabaret was based on the play I Am a Camera (1951) by John Van Druten, which was in turn based on Isherwood’s “Sally Bowles,” a story appearing in Goodbye to Berlin (1939).
Isherwood lived in Berlin in the early 1930s.
- What musical work plays during the space ballet in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)? Blue Danube Waltz by Johann Strauss was the piece that plays during the space ballet in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).
- What Stephen King work is the basis for Stand by Me (1986)? The Body, a novella was the inspiration for the movie Stand by Me.
- What work was the basis for the play and movie On the Town (1949)? The story of three sailors in On the Town (1949) on a twenty-four-hour leave in New York City was based on the ballet Fancy Free by Jerome…
- What happens to Faust at the end of Christopher Marlowe's Dr. Faustus (1588)? Dr. Faustus, the scholar who sells his soul to Satan is torn apart by devils at the end of Christopher Marlowe's Dr. Faustus.
- Who first played Doctor Faustus in Christopher Marlowe's tragedy? Edward Alleyn played Doctor Faustus in the original production of Christopher Marlowe's tragedy, circa 1589. Alleyn also played the lead in Marlowe's Tamburlaine the Great (1587).
- What author said of what work, "I have protracted my work til most of those whom I wished to please have sunk into the grave, and success and miscarriage are empty sounds: I therefore dismiss it with frigid tranquility, having little to fear or hope from censure or from praise"? Dr. Samuel Johnson said it of his dictionary in "Preface to A Dictionary of the English Language" (1747-55).