When did Ellis Island in Upper New York Bay open?

Ellis Island in Upper New York Bay, named for its former owner Sam Ellis, operated as an immigration center from 1892 to 1943.

It was a detention place for deportees until 1954.

In 1965 it became part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument.

Following restoration of its Registry Room, the point of entry for immigrants, Ellis Island was rededicated in 1990 as a people’s museum.

Leave a Comment