The first national copyright act was passed in England in 1709.
- What did one critic call “the most expensive haircut in history”? One critic called the haircut of Samson (Victor Mature) by Delilah (Hedy Lamarr) in the $3 million 1949 Cecil B. DeMille epic Samson and Delilah, "the most expensive haircut in history".
- How much prison time did Oliver North serve? Oliver North served no prison time. The Marine colonel at the center of the Iran-Contra scandal was convicted in 1989 of falsifying and destroying records, accepting an illegal gratuity, and obstructing Congress, but…
- Who took the famous photograph of the marines raising the American flag at Iwo Jima? Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal took the picture of marines raising the flag on Mount Suribachi at Iwo Jima. The island of Iwo Jima spanned only eight square miles, but was strategically important…
- How old is Juliet in Romeo and Juliet (c. 1596)? In act 1, scene 2 of Romeo and Juliet, Juliet's father says she "hath not seen the change of fourteen years", making her thirteen.
- What is an air dance? An air dance is an execution by hanging. Other slang terms for hanging: air jig, air polka, and air rumba.
- On what daytime TV drama did New York mayor Edward Koch once appear as himself? New York mayor Edward Koch once appeared on the daytime TV drama "All My Children" (ABC, 1970).