Jay Gatsby was supposed to have gone to Oxford.
In Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby (1925) the gangster Wolfsheim said Gatsby was an “Oggsford” man.
- What did the X in Francis X. Bushman’s name stand for? The X in Francis X. Bushman's name stood for Xavier.
- How long has the TV game show “Wheel of Fortune” been on the air? The syndicated TV program "Wheel of Fortune" with Pat Sajak and Vanna White has been on the air since September, 1983.
- How tall was the Mayor of Munchkinland in The Wizard of Oz (1939)? The actor who played the Mayor of Munchkinland in The Wizard of Oz (1939), Billy Curtis, was four feet, two inches tall. Curtis (1909-1988) was also the star of the first all-little-people Western…
- What movie was advertised with the line, “She’s got the biggest six-shooters in the West!” The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend (1949), starring Betty Grable, was advertised with the line, "She's got the biggest six-shooters in the West!".
- What politician was known as “The Little Giant”? Stephen A. Douglas (1813-61), the short but politically powerful congressman from Illinois, was known as "The Little Giant". A Democrat, he represented Illinois in the House of Representatives (1843-47) and the Senate (184761).…
- Who said, “After eight years as president, I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun”? Andrew Jackson said, "After eight years as president, I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun".