John Barrymore played Ahab in the original film version of Moby Dick.
No one played Ishmael. The character was cut out of the screenplay, which differed heavily from Herman Melville’s novel.
- Who are Captain Ahab’s mates in Melville’s MobyDick (1851)? Captain Ahab's first mate in Melville's MobyDick is Starbuck, the second is Stubb, the third is Flask.
- What was Richard Henry Dana doing before he shipped out as a sailor in the voyage recounted in Two Years Before the Mast (1840)? Richard Henry Dana was a college student at Harvard before he shipped out as a sailor in the voyage recounted in Two Years Before the Mast (1840). Dana (1815-82) suffered eye problems that…
- Where did Rob and Laura Petrie of “The Dick Van Dyke Show” (CBS, 1961-66) live? Rob and Laura Petrie of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" had a house in New Rochelle, New York.
- Which came first, Omoo or Typee? Melville's novels of the South Seas were published in this order: Typee in 1846, Omoo in 1847
- In what Hitchcock film did Jerry Mathers (TV’s Beaver on “Leave It to Beaver,” CBS, ABC, 1957-63) appear? Jerry Mathers (TV's Beaver on "Leave It to Beaver," CBS, ABC, 1957-63) appeared on the Hitchcock film The Trouble With Harry (1956). Mathers played Tony, Harry's son.
- What movie first featured the line, “Do you mind if I slip into something more comfortable?” Jean Harlow said "Do you mind if I slip into something more comfortable?" in Hell's Angels (1930).