On “The New Adventures of Charlie Chan,” a syndicated TV program in the 1956-57 season, the sleuth was played by J. Carroll Naish, an Irishman from New York.
- What was the actual case behind An American Tragedy? An American Tragedy was a 1925 novel by Theodore Dreiser (1871-1945). It was based on the murder of the pregnant Grace Brown by her boyfriend, social climber Chester Gillette, at Big Moose Lake…
- Who played Hymie the Robot on the TV series “Get Smart” (NBC, CBS, 1965-70)? Dick Gautier played Hymie the Robot on "Get Smart" (NBC, CBS, 1965-70). He later played Robin Hood on "When Things Were Rotten" (ABC, 1975).
- In the comic strip “Peanuts,” what is Linus and Lucy’s last name? Linus and Lucy's last name was Van Pelt.
- Who played The Merry Widow (1925) and whose widow was she? Mae Murray played the title role in The Merry Widow (1925) directed by Erich von Stroheim. Her character, Sally O'Hara, was the widow of Baron Sadoja (Tully Marshall).
- Did Bob Dylan ever meet Woody Guthrie? Yes, Bob Dylan did indeed meet Woody Guthrie, albeit when Guthrie was in his last years. Born Robert Zimmerman in 1941 in Duluth, Minnesota, young folksinger Bob Dylan hitchhiked to New York in…
- How did “Mildred Pierce” build her fortune in the 1945 movie of that name? Mildred Pierce was a waitress who bought an eatery that she built into a chain of restaurants.