Harold Lloyd, whose best-known movie is Safety Last (1923), was the “King of Daredevil Comedy”.
- How did “Mildred Pierce” build her fortune in the 1945 movie of that name? Mildred Pierce was a waitress who bought an eatery that she built into a chain of restaurants.
- What is Nirvana and where is Valhalla? Nirvana is not a place but a state of bliss to which Buddhists aspire. In Sanskrit it means the "going out" of a light. Early Buddhists used the word to describe the extinction…
- Who was the first actress to play Queen Elizabeth I? The great Sarah Bernhardt, in Queen Elizabeth (1912, France), was the first actress to play Queen Elizabeth I.
- When was The Tale of Genji written? Considered the oldest full novel in the world, The Tale of Genji was written in Japan toward the start of the eleventh century.
- Who started the craze of eating goldfish? A Harvard University student named Lothrop Withington, Jr., swallowed a 4-inch goldfish on a bet on March 3, 1939. The event was publicized in the Boston papers and soon created a new campus…
- Who were the original hosts of “Hee Haw” (CBS, synd., 1969)? Country singers Roy Clark and Buck Owens were the original hosts of "Hee Haw" (CBS, synd., 1969).