In the year 1860, on the eve of the Civil War, which was the height of slavery, the slave population in the U.S. was 3,953,760.
- At its height, how much cotton did the South produce?
- What was Charlton Heston’s number as a galley slave in Ben-Hur (1959)?
- What was the name of the first slave ship built in the English colonies?
- What was the name of the slave reputed to have been Thomas Jefferson’s mistress?
- When did Lincoln say, “I believe this government can not endure permanently half slave and half free”?