For how long were there stockyards in Chicago?

For 107 years, beginning in 1864, the mile-square Union Stock Yards stood at Halsted Street and Exchange Avenue.

The Swift, Armour, and Wilson companies had plants there. The yards closed on July 31, 1971, and were demolished.

Only the Union Stock Yards’ gate was preserved; it was named a Chicago landmark on February 24, 1972.

Leave a Comment