There have been four Madison Square Gardens, but only the first two were on Madison Square, at Madison Avenue and East Twenty-sixth Street.
The first arena, originally a railroad depot, was given the name Madison Square Garden in 1879.
The second was designed by Stanford White and built in 1890.
The third, located between Forty-ninth and Fiftieth Streets on Eighth Avenue, rose in 1925.
The fourth was built in 1968 and extends from West Thirty-first to West Thirty-third Streets between Seventh and Eighth Avenues.