Fyodor Dostoyevsky translated Eugenie Grandet (1833) into Russian.
Dostoyevsky’s 1844 translation was his first publication.
- Where does the term “nihilist” first appear? Russian writer Ivan Turgenev coined the word "nihilist" in his 1862 novel Fathers and Sons.
- What was the nationality of Hermann Hesse? The German-born author of Siddhartha (1922) and Steppenwolf (1927) Hermann Hesse became a Swiss citizen at the outbreak of World War I. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1946.
- How many Dirty Harry movies have been made? Five Dirty Harry movies have been made: Dirty Harry (1971), Magnum Force (1973), The Enforcer (1976), Sudden Impact (1983), and The Dead Pool (1988).
- How much money was raised from war bonds during World War II? The seven bond drives during World War II, often led by top movie celebrities, yielded $61 billion. Among the more popular celebrity bond spokespersons were Bob Hope and Marlene Dietrich.
- Who created Roderick Hudson? Henry James created Roderick Hudson, in the 1876 novel of the same name.
- What were the real names behind these famous pen names? Boz. Charles Dickens George Eliot. Mary Ann Evans George Orwell. Eric Arthur Blair Ellery Queen. Frederic Dannay and Manfred B. Lee Stendhal. Marie-Henri Beyle Saki. Hector Hugh Munro Voltaire. Francois-Marie Arouet Maksim Gorki.…