Walter Brennan asked, “Was you ever bit by a dead bee” nearly everyone he met in To Have and Have Not (1944).
- What film was Boris Karloff working on when director James Whale asked him to do a screen test for Frankenstein (1931)? Boris Karloff was working on Graft (1931), in which Karloff played a murderer, when director James Whale asked him to do a screen test for Frankenstein (1931).…
- Who asked, "Where's the beef?" in what commercial? Clara Peller asked, "Where's the beef?" for Wendy's, and Walter Mondale asked it in the 1984 presidential campaign.
- To which U.S. president's death was the question asked, "How can they tell?" Humorist Dorothy Parker made the quip "How can they tell?" after U.S. President Calvin Coolidge's death in 1933.
- Who said of Americans, "If I were asked . . . to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of that people ought mainly to be attributed, I should reply: To the superiority of their women"? Alexis de Tocqueville, author of Democracy in America (1835, 1840) said of Americans, "If I were asked . . . to what the singular prosperity and growing…
- Who asked, "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships, /And burnt the topless towers of Ilium"? Dr. Faustus in Christopher Marlowe's play Dr. Faustus (c. 1588-92), on conjuring up Helen of Troy.