Andrew Marvell’s “To His Coy Mistress” (1681) is the source of the title of Robert Penn Warren’s World Enough and Time.
- What is the name of the stockyard district where main character Jurgis Rudkis lives and works in The Jungle? The stockyard district where main character Jurgis Rudkis lives and works in The Jungle is known as Packingtown, in Chicago. The 1906 book led to the passage of the Pure Food and Drug…
- Where was Jay Gatsby supposed to have gone to school? Jay Gatsby was supposed to have gone to Oxford. In Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby (1925) the gangster Wolfsheim said Gatsby was an "Oggsford" man.
- Who is the hero of Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man (1952)? The hero of Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man has no name. He is a young man from the South who finds his way to a hidden existence in a coal cellar in New York.
- Where was novelist Jamaica Kincaid born? Novelist Jamaica Kincaid was born in St. John's, Antigua, in the West Indies, in 1949. Her given name is Elaine Potter Richardson. St. John's, Antigua, in the West Indies, in 1949. Her given…
- Of what movie was Bob Hope’s Fancy Pants (1950) a remake? Bob Hope's Fancy Pants (1950) was a remake of Ruggles of Red Gap (1935), where Charles Laughton played the role later retailored for Hope.
- What is the time span of Samson Agonistes (1671)? The tragedy Samson Agonistes by John Milton, about Samson's battle of faith and destruction of the Philistine temple, spans one day.