The first atomic-powered submarine, the Nautilus, was launched at Groton, Connecticut, on June 21, 1954.
- Who asked, "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships, /And burnt the topless towers of Ilium"? Dr. Faustus in Christopher Marlowe's play Dr. Faustus (c. 1588-92), on conjuring up Helen of Troy.
- What was the name of the submarine injected into the scientist's body in Fantastic Voyage (1966)? The submarine injected into the scientist's body in Fantastic Voyage (1966) was The Proteus.
- What nationality was the Lusitania that sunk by a German submarine in 1915? The 32,000-ton liner the Lusitania sunk by a German submarine on May 6, 1915, was British. Of the 1,200 passengers who lost their lives, 128 were Americans,…
- Which country supplies the world with uranium, the main ingredient in atomic weaponry? As of the early 1980s, the United States held the largest supply, with nearly 27 percent of the world's uranium reserves. Other countries with large supplies were:…
- What was the second country to develop atomic weapons and when did it do so? On Friday, September 23, 1949, President Truman announced: "We have evidence that within recent weeks an atomic explosion occurred in the USSR."
- How many days passed between the dropping of the atomic bombs and V-J day? Japan surrendered on August 15, 1945, six days after Nagasaki was bombed on August 9 and nine days after Hiroshima was bombed on August 6.