The leader of the intellectual group the “New Humanists” which, during the flowering of modernism, tried to spur interest in the classics, was Irving Babbitt, professor of romance languages at Harvard from 1894 to 1933.
- When was Longinus’s critical treatise On the Sublime published in Europe?
- Where did the antiforeign movement, the “Know Nothings” get their name?
- Where was the Chautauqua Movement based?
- When did Jerry Falwell disband the conservative Christian movement the Moral Majority?
- What led Albert Einstein to remark, “I shall never believe that God plays dice with the universe”?